Once again some person feels like they are being left out. It just seems like the lady was crying for attention. Maybe she felt she’d make a big impression on America if she stopped the “oppression” of woman in all men schools. As if women didn’t have single-sex schools of their own. It’s quite ridiculous and a waste of people’s time and effort. She may have felt that she was accomplishing something when she was really doing the opposite by trying to destroy an established student body. If she found it necessary to go to college with men then she could have went to a co-ed college.
I agree with the conclusion of the read. That if the Citadel were to be mingled into a co-educated establishment then so would other single-sex schools. I would feel sorry for the student bodies of these schools because I believe some people just can’t perform as well around the opposite sex. Maybe that is not even the issue for them, but whatever it may be it wouldn’t be right for Faulkner to take that advantage from them. As the reading also said, that if she was fighting for her freedom of choice then she was also trying to take away that of the Citadel’s.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I do not think it was a cry for attention but maybe a cry for help. I think the author makes many good points about single-sex schools. I think single-sex school are perfectly accepting and there isn't anything wrong with them. Single-sex schools have been around for a very long time and it would not be good to lose tradition. I have friends that went to single-sex high schools and all of them got into great university's. Most importantly it is there decision on which school they want to attend so you have to respect their decision.
ReplyDeleteYes, that was my point as well. The person should have respected the others who purposefully went to single-sex schools. In this case she didn't because she was self-centered enough to force herself into the all male environment that didn't want her presence at their school.
ReplyDelete