All the controversy about the internet profile and picture websites is overrated. People risk their image and reputation by using and exposing themselves on these websites and they are aware of that. Whether their parents are aware of that is a whole other story we’ll probably read about in this book. Anyways, the bit about control is only interesting because if you’ve experienced these websites you would know that many people don’t understand the concept of control, thus they don’t care about their privacy. Of course people leave themselves out to become transparent with these websites and that’s there problem to handle.
“The Internet is often accused of leading to uncivil behavior”, “Identity will lead to civility….”(EOA p.289). I found those a funny pair of quotes. The first I believe to be true because I have seen my friends behave ridiculously and expose the idiotic sides of themselves to show off on the internet. This makes the second quote not so true in my mind because all these people know they are being watched. This fact doesn’t change the photos they decide to put up or the comments they decide to share with others. I think the most popular photos are those of people drinking, and often underage people post these. A little further into that last paragraph on page 289 states that the how thing is like being living in a small town. Well, I think that it’s the most overly populated small town that exists and the citizens in that small town are all careless of their reputations and possibly self-images. Doesn’t say too much about control when compare something to a “small town”. A small town could be full of bums.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I believe identity leading to civility is partly true. If you know who you are and find cotrol yourself and your actions, then you will lead more civil and tasteful. Good blog not sure what the "how thing is referring to", maybe you could be a little more clear to your reference. Overall good points and concise ideas. =)
ReplyDelete