Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bore Me Once, Shame On You (EOA p31-41)

When I started reading “Reading and Listening Critically” I was interested because I wanted to know techniques for reading critically. I was hoping it would help me advance my critical thinking skills, but the read didn’t meet my expectations. After the relatively short introduction I bored by The Declaration of Independence. I was so bored in fact that I forgot what their ultimate goal for me, as the reader, was. This ruined my whole reading and listening critically in the first two pages. After that I was not interested in what had to be next but the title “Sex and the Cinema” appealed to me since I love movies.

That article was probably the only interesting thing of the whole passage and it wasn’t that great. It told me common sense aspects of money making for the theater business, with minor details. There were a few significant features I was unaware of and what glad to learn about. Other than the one article I really didn’t get much from our assignment, I’m sorry to say. Not sorry to the assigner but to myself because I really thought I would acquire some competent knowledge from this. This assignment I had a great deal of expectations, like I said before, so if this could not teach me I question what else this book would possibly have to offer.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree on the fact that the reading did not teach me anything I hadn't already learned from my other Composition classes. Perhaphs it was meant to be easy because it is the only second chapter in the book. Lke other courses and books, the easy stuff is always first. As for "The Declaration of Independence" part, I think it was just meant to be used along with the preredaing assignment and not so much for us to fully dissect and analyze. But you're right, it was really boring. But I think the book will offer a lot of great information down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that your statement about completely forgetting about what the ultimate goal of the passage was, was comical, seeing at how is was extremely boring. I agree with the saying that the second passage was the only one with any interesting details in it and that I too learned a little more about the film industry through reading this.

    I hope that this book may give you what you seek, so that your time may not be wasted.

    ReplyDelete