Friday, January 16, 2009

Bam! Let's Kick it up a Notch! (EOA p.61-71)

I had been skimming through the book when I first saw the images that would appear in this read. My first impression is quite funny to what is actually happening in the picture. I some how didn’t notice the top picture with the young black man, but I saw the one with the white couple and looking at the girl I thought they were volunteers helping. I completely misinterpreted the word “looting” so when I actually came to the passage I had to laugh. Looking a lot closer I can assume that that woman cared less about helping anyone except herself. I didn’t get much of a message that I guess I was supposed to from any of the other images. I did notice the Pieta similarity, which was pretty interesting. Also, I found the college part funny because I attended FGCU after looking at there pamphlet when I was in the tenth grade. What attracted me were the dorms being near the beach in the picture and the sports that were advertised. (I don’t live in the dorms or play college sports, so that was odd of me to bother choosing this college. Haha.)

The whole topic of visual argument was something I wasn’t expecting from the book, or at least hadn’t thought of. It’s a really awesome subject though because I realize I interpret such visual arguments wrong a good amount of the time or I juts don’t notice that the image actually stands or symbolizes something.It’s sort of like actions speak louder than words even though the pictures aren’t moving, you can assume that some action is going on. I never think of that as an idea and just look at the image for it's face value. I have much to learn and I'm looking forward to it. I think the upcoming paper will be interesting since I think it’s based on this topic.

1 comment:

  1. When i turned to this assigned reading and saw two similar pictures one with a black person and one with whites, i knew there was going to be some racial comparison valid or not. Maybe it is a good thing that you don't read too much into things as much of our media seems to do. Although you did assume the prejudice that the article was warning of, sometimes i think it is better to just see and take things as they are. Especially interpret things individually and not compare them amongst a seemingly similar spectrum that not knowing the circumstance, two alike things may be truly dissimilar. Wen it comes to the American pieta picture, i also failed to draw the resemblance with the Jesus version, probably because i am not that familiar with ether image. It seems the point that book came to and that you stated at the end of your second paragraph was that pictures can influence and change your perspective on things and that captions can do the same for an image. i used a specific image in my blog for this reading to support the point of my blog.

    ReplyDelete