Thursday, January 8, 2009

Persuade Me (EOA p.3-10)

This brought me back to the old days of composition 1 (about 2-3 months ago) to a passage called “The Argument Culture.” What reminded me of that passage was probably the word “argument”, for one, and the context of opinionated articles and their persuasive ways. Going into pages 3 and 4 I was a bit disinterested because of the common sense facts of life that were being mentioned. What was amusing to me was my reaction to each article presented on the pages that followed. Reading the first article I was not against the x-ray backscatter because I think it shouldn’t be such a controversial matter when so many people are being scanned. Who are you to be so self-conscious that you become egotistical and think people are interested in your “goods” per say. Also, there should be competent enough people who are in the position of screeners whereas no perverted problems should arise.

Moving on into the second article that was against the backscatter scanning persuaded my mind a bit. I let it be persuaded knowingly as I had remembered the discussion of these types of articles in composition 1. This amused me to find out how gullible my mind is to such matters that people find controversial. I guess it is because it was a matter that I found trivial since I don’t plan on flying much. Reading the final part of the read, which was the blog, I had been brought back to my original opinion that the backscatters should be a part of the airport security system. I found not only was it because it made me feel right after all but the blogger has listed the pros and cons creating a better argument than the previous article.

All in all, this was an interesting a learning opportunity for me because I would like to recognize when my mind is slowly being made up by an external voice instead of my own internal voice.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the matter because that it exactly what I think about people that care more about their privacy than about people getting killed. I also remember the “Argument Culture” that we read about in our composition class last semester and I can’t believe that this class is pretty much just going to be about that! Back on topic, I also think that there should be supervision on the screeners or the room that they are in because I wouldn’t want problems either. All throughout the article I had my mind set that our privacy is less of an importance when the lives of many are at hand so when I read the last part of the reading it was nice to see someone have both sides of the controversy and give good reasons for his thoughts on the issue.

    ReplyDelete